- 1 kg Brussels sprouts
- 200g cooked chestnuts, cooked & peeled
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- A handful of sage, leaves only
- 300ml boiling water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 10 mins
1. Wash the Brussels sprouts and trim off the stalky bottoms so they’re neat and flat. Pull off any torn outer leaves. Halve the sprouts. Roughly chop the chestnuts.
2. Crumble the stock cube into a heatproof jug and stir in 300ml boiling water to dissolve it. Finely shred the sage leaves.
3. Warm 1 tbsp olive oil in a really deep frying pan or wok (or casserole dish if your pans are a bit shallow). When it’s hot, add the sprouts. Stir and fry for 4-5 mins till the sprouts have started to pick up a little colour.
4. Pour in the vegetable stock. Simmer for 2 mins, stirring once or twice, then add the chestnuts and most of the sage. Simmer for another 3-4 mins, stirring often, till the sprouts are just tender.
5. Take the sprouts off the heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper if you think they need it. Spoon into a warm serving dish, garnish with the last of the sage and serve.