- 2-4 chicory
- A few tbsp butter
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 glass of orange juice
- A squeeze of honey or agave syrup
- A handful of parsley, chervil or coriander, to serve (optional)
Prep: 5 mins / Cook: 15 mins
1. Halve th chicory lengthwise. Carve out the smooth little triangle bit of white in the centre – removing it helps the chicory cook more evenly.
2. Heat a frying pan on the hob. Add a knob of butter and melt till frothy.
3. Add the chicory halves, cut-side down. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Let them cook for a min or 2, then add enough orange juice to come about 3/4 way up the chicory, so just the arched back is peeping up. Let the juic bubble up for a min. Cover and cook until the chicory slices are tender.
5. Uncover the pan. Drizzle in the honey/agave. Let the sweetened juice reduce down to a thick, dark, toffee-like syrup. The cut-side of the chicory should be golden.
6. Arrange the chicory in a dish. Scatter some fresh herbs over the top, if you like, and serve. Amazing served with pan-fried fish or puy lentils.