- For the pickled red onion:
- 1 red onion
- 50ml cyder vinegar
- 30g caster sugar
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- For the chips:
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1.6kg potatoes
- 5 ltrs rapeseed oil
- To serve the chips:
- A handful of mixed garden herbs, such as dill, mint, flat leaf parsley, chives
- 100g soft goat’s cheese
- 4 tsp wildflower honey
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 30-40 mins
1. Start by making the pickled red onion: peel and finely slice the red onion – use a mandolin set to the lowest setting to get the slices as thin as possible. In a large bowl, mix together the vinegar, sugar, salt and mustard seeds. Add the onion and stir to mix. Cover and set aside. This pickle is ready in 1 hr and can be made up to 1 week in advance. Store in a sealed tub or jar in the fridge.
2. Make the chips: fill a large pan with water. Add 1 tsp sea salt, cover and bring to the boil. crub the potatoes and slice them into finger-length chips. When the water in the pan is boiling, add the chips to the pan. Bring the pan back to the boil and simmer for 1 min. Drain the chips and spread them out on a board or tray lined with kitchen paper. Leave them to dry and cool completely.
3. Heat 5 ltrs rapeseed oil in a deep fat fryer to 130°C/270°F. Put the chips into a fryer basket and sink them into the fat (if your fryer is small, do this in batches to avoid crowding the fryer). Fry for around 8 mins till the chips look like they are forming a skin. Lift them out, drain and then spread out on a board or tray again. Let them cool completely. This can be done 24 hrs before you want to serve the chips - store them in a tub in the fridge.
4. Before you fry your chips for the final time, roughly chop the herbs, discarding any tough or woody stalks.
5. Heat the oil to 180°C/Fan 360°F in the deep fat fryer. Put the chips back into the fryer basket and fry for around 5 mins till they are golden brown. Drain, tip into a bowl and toss with a pinch of salt. If your fryre is small and you need to cook the chips in batches, then keep the cooked chips warm in a heatproof dish in your oven, set to its lowest setting.
6. Tip the chips into 4 serving dishes. Dot each serving with 25g goat's cheese, 1 tbsp pickled red onions (but not the juices), 1 tsp honey and the chopped herbs. Serve straight away.