- 75g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 300g self-raising flour
- 130g caster sugar
- Sea salt
- 200ml full cream milk
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 heaped tsp raspberry jam
1. Heat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Brush the holes of a 6-hole muffin tin with melted butter to coat them.
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Whisk in the sugar with a good pinch of sea salt.
3. Pour the milk into a jug. Squeeze in the lemon juice and stir to mix – you want the milk to go a bit curdled and lumpy, so don’t worry if it looks bad. Crack in the egg and add the vanilla extract. Whisk together till combined.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients into the flour and sugar and gently stir a few times to just mix them together. Don’t overmix – it’s fine to have a few floury lumps.
5. Divide half the doughnut mixture between the 6 muffin tin holes. Add ½ heaped tsp jam to each muffin hole. Cover with the rest of the doughnut mixture. Bake for 20-25 mins till risen and golden brown. Let them cool in the tins for 5 mins.
6. While the doughnuts cool, prepare the coating. Melt the butter. Sprinkle the sugar on a plate.
7. Turn the doughnut muffins out of their tin. Brush one liberally with the butter and roll in the sugar. Pop on a wire rack and repeat with the rest of the doughnut muffins. These are best eaten on the day they are made.