- 450g sausage meat
- 1 mug of breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp freshly chopped sage (a few whole leaves for garnish, optional)
- An apple, peeled, cored and finely diced or grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1 mug of cooked chestnuts, crumbled
- 2-3 tbsp apple juice, cider or brandy
1. Tip all the ingredients into a big bowl. Mix well.
2. If making a day ahead, cover the bowl with a plate or wax wrap and store it in the fridge. Take sthe stuffing out of the fridge 1 hr or so before you want to stuff the turkey, to give it time to come to room temperature.
3. Stuff the turkey just before it goes in the oven on Christmas day. You'll want to leave a bit of a gap in the cavity – making stuffing balls is a great way to use up any leftovers.
4. Rather than stuff the turkey's cavity, you can slide a bit of stuffing under its skin. Roll the rest into stuffing balls to roast alongside the bird.
5. If you'd prefer to cook the stuffing separately from the bird, pop it in a baking dish about 5-6cm deep. Top with a few sage leaves and bake for 30 mins at 200°C/Gas 6, or till golden and cooked through.