- 100g sugar
- 1kg mini watermelon
- 2 limes
- 120ml golden rum
- 2-3 sprigs of mint, leaves only
Prep: 20 mins + freezing | Cook: 5 mins
1. Tip the sugar into a small pan and pour in 100ml cold water. Bring to the boil without stirring the mix – the sugar should dissolve and the syrup will become clear as it warms up. Boil the syrup for 2 mins, then take off the heat and set aside to cool completely.
2. Slice the watermelon into wedges and flick out any large seeds. Slice off the skin. Roughly chop the watermelon and scoop it into a food processor. Blitz till smooth. Pour the watermelon purée into a large freezerproof tub.
3. Pour the cold sugar syrup into the watermelon. Squeeze in the juice from the limes and add the rum. Pick the mint leaves off their sprigs and finely chop the mint leaves. Add them to the watermelon. Stir everything together.
4. Freeze the mixture for 4-5 hrs, then stir with a fork to break it up. Freeze for another 4-5 hrs, then stir again. Do this 2-3 more times till the mixture is frozen but with a rough texture. Over 24 hrs, you should stir the granita 4-5 times.
5. Serve the granita in small chilled glasses or bowls. You can pour over a little more rum just as you serve it, and garnish with a sprig of mint.