- 1 shallot
- 1 carrot
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp + a splash of olive oil
- A 400g tin of green lentils
- 250g wild pigeon breasts
- A handful of chervil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Peel and finely chop the shallot. Peel and finely dice the carrot. Finely grate the zest off the lemon. Juice the lemon.
2. Warm a splash of olive oil in a pan. Add the shallot and carrot. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 mins. Stir often, till the veg have started to soften.
3. Drain the lentils. Add to the veg. Stir everything together.
4. Add the lemon zest and juice with a splash of water. Gently heat for 5 mins or so till the lentils are warmed through. Stir every so often.
5. In a frying or griddle pan, warm another splash of olive oil. Add the pigeon. Fry for 2 mins. Turn over. Fry for 2 more mins. Pop on a board. Cover with foil to rest for 5 mins.
6. Finely chop the chervil. Stir most of it into the lentils
7. Whisk the vinegar with 2 tbsp oil and some seasoning. Add to the lentils. Taste. Adjust the seasoning. Serve the lentils with the sliced pigeon breasts and remaining chervil on top.