- 2 garlic cloves
- A large handful of thyme
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 200ml white wine
- 227ml double cream
- 400g potatoes
- 3 fennel bulbs
- 50g Parmesan (optional)
- 50g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
The infused cream can be made 2 days in advance – just cook the gratin for an extra 10 mins to warm the cream. The potatoes and fennel need to be sliced just before cooking so
they don’t discolour.
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
2. Peel and thinly slice the garlic. Scrape into a pan with the thyme sprigs, lemon zest, white wine and cream. Bring to a simmer. Lower the heat and cook for 10 mins.
3. Slice the potatoes and fennel as thinly as possible (use a mandoline if you have one). Tumble into a baking dish. Pour over the infused cream. Toss together.
4. Cover the dish with foil or a lid. Bake for 50 mins. Remove the foil. The veg should be tender and the cream thickened. Grate over the Parmesan (if using) and scatter over the hazelnuts. Return to the oven for 15 mins to brown the top.