- 12g dried porcini mushrooms
- 400g mushrooms
- 400g vine tomatoes
- A handful of rosemary, leaves only
- 400g tin of lentils
- 200g spaghetti
- 50g baby leaf spinach
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 200ml boiling water
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 18 mins
1. Fill and boil your kettle. Tip the dried porcini mushrooms into a heatproof bowl and pour over enough boiling water to just cover them. Set to one side. Pour the rest of the water into a large pan, cover with a lid and set on a low heat. Fill and boil the kettle again.
2. Tear the souping mushrooms into small pieces. Warm a large frying pan on a high heat for 1 min, then pour in 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the mushrooms to the pan with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook on a high heat for 5 mins, stirring once or twice, till golden.
3. While the mushrooms fry, finely dice the tomatoes. Finely chop the rosemary leaves, discarding the stalks.
4. Drain the porcini mushrooms and squeeze out the excess liquid. Pop them back in the bowl. Pour over 200ml hot water from the kettle and leave to soak. Drain and rinse the lentils.
5. When the mushrooms have cooked for 5 mins, add the tomatoes and rosemary to the frying pan, keeping it on a high heat. Stir and cook for 4 mins, till the tomatoes are soft.
6. As soon as you add the tomatoes to the frying pan, check the water in the covered pan – it should be boiling. Add the spaghetti to the water with a pinch of salt and cook for 8-9 mins till the pasta is al dente (soft with a slight bite).
7. When the tomatoes have cooked for 4 mins, pour in the porcini mushrooms and their soaking liquid. Tip in the lentils. Cook everything together for 4-5 mins on a high heat, till the sauce has reduced and is a little thick. Stir often.
8. Drain the pasta and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir the spinach through the lentil ragù to slightly wilt it. Taste the ragù and add more salt or pepper if you think it needs it. Divide the spaghetti between a couple of warmed bowls. Top with the lentil ragù to serve.