- Onions or leeks
- Seaonal veg
- Herbs or spice
- A dollop of cream, if you fancy
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Finely dice a quarter of an onion for each bowl of soup – so 1 large onion for 4 servings.
2. Cook onion in a little oil or butter till glossy and translucent. Let it really soften and sweeten up.
3. Add some diced seasonal veg – a mug full of veg per person. Mix with the onion. Or, you could just roast everything till tender and sweet.
4. When the veg is nicely cooked, add a little spice or some herbs. Tumble into a pot, if you’ve roasted the veg.
5. Decide how you’d like your soup.
For an elegant creamy soup…
Add enough stock to barely cover. Blitz and continue to add stock to reach desired consistency. After it's nicely blended, tuck in. Or, add a splash of cream, some sherry, extra seasoning or fresh herbs.
For a rustic chunky soup…
Add warm stock to your veg. If you want to add meat, noodles or rice (pre-cooked or a quick cooking basmati), toss it in, too. Warm everything through. Finish with fresh herbs, cream or extra seasoning.
6. That’s it. Super soup with any veg.