- 2 large or 4 small turnips
- 4 rashers of smoky bacon, cut into lardons
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- A few glugs of olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
- A glass of white wine
- 200g creme fraiche
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Peel the turnips and slice into thin discs. Cut large turnip discs into halves or quarters.
2. Crisp up the bacon in a smallish pan. As it cooks, toss the sliced turnips in a bowl with garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Add to the pan. Sizzle for a min.
3. Add the wine or cider. Let it bubble up, soften the veg and let the liquid reduce down a bit (15–20 mins).
4. Swirl in the crème fraîche. Scatter more thyme and pepper on top.
5. If your pan’s not ovenproof, tumble everything into a baking dish. Pop in the oven till brown (about 30 mins). Delicious with a crisp green salad and roast chicken.