- 500ml Rude Health Oat Drink
- 1 onion
- A couple of cloves
- A few bay leaves
- A few peppercorns
- A blade of mace or a pinch of ground mace
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Sea salt and white pepper, to season
- 300g white bloomer, stale
1. Pour the Rude health Oat Drink into a pan. Halve the onion (no need to peel) and add that to the pan. Drop in a couple of cloves, a few bay leaves and a pinch of black peppercorns. If you're using a blade of mace, drop that in. Otherwise, add a pinch of mace and grate in around 1/4 of a nutmeg. Add a good sized pinch of salt and white pepper.
2. Put the pan on a medium heat, bring up to a bubble then simmer for 5 mins. Take off the heat, pop on a lid, and set aside for 30 mins to infuse.
3. Strain the infused oat milk and discard the aromatics. Pour the oat milk back into the pan. Tear the bread into small pieces (no need to remove the crusts) and add them to the pan.
4. Put the pan on a medium heat and simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, till the bread has broken down and thickened. If the sauce is too thick or dry, add a splash more oat milk.
5. Taste the sauce and add a pinch more salt, white pepper, nutmeg or mace. Pour into a sauce boat or serving dish and serve.