- 1 orange
- 80g honey
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g carrots
- 500g parsnips
Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 35-40 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Finely grate the zest from the orange into a bowl. Squeeze in the juice. Pour in the honey.
2. Pick the thyme leaves off their sprigs (if you have a mesh sieve and the stalks are woody, push the thyme through the sieve and the leaves will collect in the sieve). Add them to the bowl with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and stir everything together to make a smooth mixture. Set aside.
3. Trim and scrub the carrots and parsnips (you don’t have to peel them, but you can if you prefer). Halve them widthways if they are large so they about as long as a little finger. Then halve them lengthways or quarter them so they are all roughly the same thickness.
4. Tip the carrots and parsnips into a large roasting tin. Pour over the honey and orange marinade. Turn the veg to coat them in the marinade, then spread them out in an even layer.
5. Roast the carrots and parsnips for 20 mins, then take them out of the oven and turn the veg over with a spoon, spooning the tin juices over the veg. Return to the oven and roast for another 15-20 mins till the veg are tender when pressed with a fork and a little charred. Spoon the carrots and parsnips into a warm serving dish and serve.
6. Spoon the carrots and parsnips into a warm serving dish and serve.