- 150g white basmati rice
- Sea salt
- 300ml boiling water
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
- 250g beef stir-fry strips
- 1 chilli
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400g tin of red kidney beans
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Rinse the rice under cold water then tip it into a small pan. Add a pinch of salt and pour in 300ml boiling water. Add a pinch of salt, pop a lid on the pan and bring it to the boil. Once it’s boiling, turn the heat right down and very gently simmer for 8 mins till the rice has absorbed all the water. Take the pan off the heat and leave the rice in it, with the lid on, for 5 mins to steam and finish cooking.
2. While the rice cooks, dice the tomatoes. Warm a wok or deep frying pan over a high heat for 1 min, then add ½ tbsp oil and the beef stir-fry strips. Stir from for 3 mins till the beef is browned all over. Lift it out of the pan and set aside on a plate.
3. Turn the heat down under the wok. Add another ½ tbsp oil to the wok and add the diced tomatoes. Fry, stirring often, for 2 mins till the tomatoes have softened.
4. While the tomatoes fry, halve the chilli and scrape out the seeds and white pith. Finely chop the chilli. Add to the tomatoes with 1 tsp each smoked paprika and ground cumin. Cook, stirring, for 1 min.
5. Tip the beef back into the pan. Add the kidney beans with the water from the tin. Pop a lid on the pan (or use a baking tray if you don’t have a lid) and simmer the chilli for 10 mins.
6. Fluff the rice with a fork and divide between a couple of warm plates. Taste the chilli and add a pinch of salt if you think it needs it. Ladle the chilli on top of the rice and serve.