- 75g buckwheat
- 3 shallots
- 1 lemon
- 1 pomegranate
- 200g Brussels sprouts
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 35g flaked almonds
- 250ml cold water
- Sea salt
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 20-25 mins
1. Tip the buckwheat into a pan on a medium heat. Toast for 2 mins till nutty. Carefully pour in 250ml water. Cover and bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 12-15 mins tender.
2. While the buckwheat simmers, peel and finely slice the shallots. Pop them in a bowl. Squeeze in the juice from half the lemon and add a pinch of salt. Scrunch together with your fingers, then set aside to lightly pickle.
3. Halve the pomegranate around its equator. Hold 1 half, cut side down, in the palm of your hand over a large bowl. Use a wooden spoon to thwack the pomegranate – the seeds should fall out into the bowl. Pull out any stubborn seeds with your fingers, discarding the white pith. Repeat with the remaining pomegranate half.
4. Trim the bottoms off the sprouts and pull off any ragged leaves. Finely slice and tip them into the bowl with the pomegranate. Toss with your hands to help separate the sprout leaves.
5. Roughly chop the parsley and add to the bowl. The buckwheat should be tender by now. Drain off any water and tip into the bowl with the pomegranate, sprouts and parsley. Stir to mix.
6. Put a frying pan on a medium heat and add the flaked almonds. Toast for 2-3 mins till browned.
7. Stir the pickled shallots and liquid into the buckwheat salad with ½ tbsp olive oil. Taste and add a squeeze more lemon juice or a pinch more salt or pepper if needed. Heap onto 2 warm plates. Scatter over the toasted almonds and serve.