- 4 pheasant breasts, skinless
- 8 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
- A few sprigs of thyme
- A glug of olive oil
- A knob of butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ mug of red wine
- ½ mug of chicken stock
1. Season the pheasant breasts with a little cracked pepper. Wrap each in 2 or 3 rashers of bacon.
2. Add a glug of oil to a medium to hot pan. Put the breasts in with the bacon joins facing down. Cook for a couple of mins on both sides. Flip. Add the butter and thyme.
3. Baste the breasts and continue cooking for a couple more mins till just done. Remove from the pan and put aside to rest.
4. Pour the wine and stock in the pan and crank up the heat. Simmer till reduced by two thirds.
5. Plate up the pheasant and drizzle over the red wine sauce.
6. Marvellous with braised greens and celeriac mash.