- 3 eggs
- 200ml milk
- A pinch of sea salt
- Sunflower oil or butter for frying
- 4 slices of panettone
- A handful of dried cranberries
- 1 orange, juice only
- Caster sugar, to dust
Prep:10 mins | Cook:10 mins
1. Whisk together the eggs, milk and sugar in a wide, shallow bowl. Season with a pinch of salt.
2. Warm a pan on a medium heat and add a little oil or butter to just cover the bottom of the pan. (Frying in oil will make your French toast more custardy in the middle).
3. One at a time, lay the panettone slices in the eggy milk, and leave for 1 min on each side so the slices are saturated but not falling apart.
4. When the oil or butter is hot, carefully place the eggy slices in the pan (cook them in batches if you need to). The panettone should sizzle a little when it hits the pan. Cook for 2 mins on each side till golden brown (make sure the egg mixture doesn’t burn – turn the heat down if it looks too hot). Transfer the fried slices to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
5. Serve topped with dried cranberries, a squeeze of orange juice and a dusting of icing sugar.