- 3 eggs
- 200ml milk
- A pinch of sea salt
- Sunflower oil or butter for frying
- 4 slices of panettone
- A handful of dried cranberries
- 1 orange, juice only
- Caster sugar, to dust
Prep:10 mins | Cook:10 mins
1. Whisk together the eggs, milk and sugar in a wide shallow bowl. Season with a pinch of salt.
2. Place a pan over a medium heat and add a little oil or butter to just cover the bottom of the pan. (Frying in oil will make your French toast more custardy in the middle).
3. Lay the panettone slices one at a time in the eggy milk and let them rest for 1 min on each side so they are saturated but not falling apart.
4. When the oil/butter is hot, place the slices in the pan (cook in batches if you need to). They should sizzle a little when it hits the pan. Cook for 2 mins on each side till golden brown (make sure the egg mixture doesn’t burn – turn the heat down if it looks too hot).
5. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper, then serve with a sprinkling of dried cranberries, a squeeze of orange juice and a dusting of icing sugar.