- A splash of olive oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ large red cabbage, finely shredded, white core removed
- 2 clementines, zest and juice
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp Demerara sugar
- A mug of red wine
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 1hr 10 mins
1. Add a splash of oil to a heavy based pan over a low heat. When hot, add the spices and bay.
2. Add the cabbage, clementine juice, a grating of clementine and lemon zest, the sugar and half a mug of wine. Cover.
3. Simmer over a very low heat for about 1 hr. Stir now and again. Add more wine if needed, so it doesn’t dry out on the bottom of the pan.
4. Uncover after 1 hr. Turn the heat up. Splash in more wine, little by little, letting it guzzle it up like a risotto. Taste. The cabbage should be dark, glossy and sweet. Adjust the seasoning.
5. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice and a little more zest.