- 2 aubergines, weighing approximately 500g
- ½ small red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- A pinch of sea salt
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- Toasted pitta breads, to serve
Prep: 15 mins + cooling | Cook: 1 hr
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 4. Prick the aubergines all over with a fork, pop them in a roasting tin and slide them into the oven. Roast for 1 hr till the aubergines are very tender and charred all over.
2. When the aubergines are baked through, set them aside to cool for 10 mins then halve them and scoop the flesh out of the skin into a mixing bowl. Beat well with a wooden spoon till smooth.
3. Peel and finely chop the red onion. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Add them to the aubergine. Squeeze in the juice from the lemon and pour in 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and beat well to combine. If you want a smoother texture, you can put all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz till smooth. This is your melitzanosalata.
4. Scoop the melitzanosalata into a serving bowl. Roughly chop a few parsley sprigs and scatter them over the top. Drizzle over the a little extra olive oil. Serve with toasted pitta bread with for scooping.