- 2 aubergines, weighing approximately 500g
- ½ small red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- Toasted pitta breads, to serve
Prep: 15 mins + cooling | Cook: 1 hr
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 4. Prick the aubergines all over with a fork, pop them in a roasting tin and slide them into the oven. Roast for 1 hr till the aubergines are very tender and charred all over.
2. Set the aubergines aside to cool for 10 mins, then halve them and scoop the flesh out of the skin into a mixing bowl. Beat well with a wooden spoon till smooth.
3. Peel and finely chop the red onion half. Peel and crush the garlic. Add to the aubergine. Squeeze in the juice from half the lemon and pour in 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and beat to combine. For a smoother texture, blitz all the ingredients in a food processor. Taste and add more lemon juice or salt, if you think it needs it. Ths is your melitzanosalata.
4. Scoop the melitzanosalata into a serving bowl. Roughly chop a few parsley sprigs and scatter them over the top. Drizzle over a little extra olive oil. Serve with toasted pitta breads with for scooping.