- 150g white basmati rice
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- 250g beef mince
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 300ml boiling water
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, leaves only
1. Tip the rice into a bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soak while you cook the beef and spices.
2. Peel and finely chop the onion. Warm a mediumsized pan over a medium heat for 2 mins, then add 1 tbsp olive oil and the onion. Season with a pinch of salt and fry, stirring often, for 5 mins till the onions is just glossy.
3. Add the beef to the onion and fry for 5 mins, stirring often with a wooden spoon and using it to break up any large lumps. While the beef fries, peel and crush or grate the garlic.
4. Stir the garlic into the beef. Drop in the cinnamon stick and 4 cloves. Fry, stirring often, for 3 more mins till the pan is fragrant and the beef is nicely browned all over.
5. Drain the rice and tip it into the pan. Stir to mix. Pour in 300ml boiling water. Pop a lid on the pan, bring to the boil, then turn the heat right down and simmer for 8-10 mins till the rice has absorbed the water and is cooked through.
6. When the rice is tender, take off the heat. Fork in the spinach to just wilt it, then set the pan aside, lid on, for 2 mins to steam. This will finish cooking the rice and spinach. Pick the parsley leaves off their stalks and roughly chop the leaves.
7. Fluff the rice up and taste. Add a pinch of salt if you think it needs it. Divide the rice between 2 warm plates, picking out the cinnamon stick and cloves if you spot them. Garnish with the parsley to serve.