- 150g plain white flour
- 100g Parmesan, grated (or veggie equivalent)
- 100g cold unsalted butter, cubed, plus a little extra for filling
- 4–5 tbsp cold water
- 150g lettuce, finely chopped*
- 3–4 spring onions, finely chopped
- A grating of lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper
- A handful of tarragon, mint, chives, and/or basil, finely chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- 200g crème fraîche
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
*Any lettuce apart from iceberg works. For watercress don’t chop the leaves, just the stalks.
1. Mix flour and half the Parmesan in a large bowl.
2. Rub the butter and cheese into the flour with your hands till it resembles breadcrumbs. Bind it with a trickle of water. Shape into a smooth ball. Wrap in film. Chill for an hour in the fridge.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Brush 6–8 mini tart tins with a little oil or butter. Coarsely grate pastry into each. Press evenly into the sides and base. Line with greaseproof paper. Fill with coins or baking beans. Bake for 10 mins, or till just golden. Turn oven down to 180°C/ Gas 4.
4. Mix together the lettuce, spring onions, lemon zest, remaining Parmesan, fresh herbs and lots of black pepper.
5. Whisk the eggs, crème fraîche and mustard. Stir in the lettuce mix. Spoon into the pastry. Bake for 25 mins, or till golden and set.