- 150g brown basmati rice
- 400ml boiling water
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ cucumber
- A thumb of ginger
- A pack of plain tofu
- 2 spring onions
- 1 red chilli
- A handful of coriander
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
1. Put the rice in a pan with 400ml boiling water. Cover. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down. Simmer for 25-30 mins till the water has been absorbed. Take off the heat. Steam with the lid on for 5 mins.
2. Mix the sugar and vinegar together in a bowl. Slice the cucumber in half. Run a teaspoon down the middle to scoop out the seeds. Cut into slices about as long and as thick as your little finger.
3. Bash the cucumber with a rolling pin or pestle to smash it up a bit. Add to the vinegar. Peel the ginger. Slice into thin matchsticks. Add to the cucumber. Stir to mix. Leave to marinate.
4. Drain the tofu. Slice into cubes about 1-2 cm big. Pile onto a serving plate or dish. Put to one side.
5. Trim and rinse the spring onions. Finely slice into rounds. Finely slice the chilli – flick out the seeds and white bits for less chilli heat. Roughly chop the leaves from the sprigs of coriander.
6. Warm 3 tbsp olive oil in a pan over a low heat. Add the spring onions and chilli. Gently fry for about 5 mins. Stir often so the onions and chilli soften and heat through.
7. Add 2 tbsp tamari to the pan. Stir to mix. Taste and add more tamari if you think it needs it. Top the tofu with the coriander. Spoon the hot spring onion sauce over the top. Serve with the rice and cucumber.