- 1.7kg av. whole chicken
- 40g honey
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 garlic cloves
- A thumb of ginger
- 25g sesame seeds
Prep: 15 mins | Cook 1 hr 20 mins
1. Heat your oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Take the chicken out of the fridge, unwrap it and remove the giblets (you can use them to make giblet stock). Pop the chicken in a roasting tin. Let it come to room temperature – around 30 mins should do.
2. While the chicken is warming up, make the honey and tamari glaze. Pop the honey in a bowl and stir in 2 tbsp of the tamari. Peel the garlic cloves and crush or grate them. Add them to the bowl. Peel the ginger and grate it into the bowl.
3. Add the sesame seeds to the bowl. Stir to mix everything together into a marinade.
4. Spoon the marinade all over the chicken to coat it. You can tie the legs together with kitchen string to keep them neat, or just leave them as they are. Loosely cover the chicken with a large sheet of foil, scrunching it onto the sides of the tin. Slide into the oven and roast the chicken for 1 hr, then remove the foil and roast for another 20 mins.
5. Take the chicken out of the oven and check whether it’s done by inserting a skewer into the thick part of a thigh. If the juices run clear, it’s ready. If not, slide back into the oven for another 5-15 mins.
6. When the chicken is cooked, take it out of the oven and rest it on a warm plate or board, loosely covered with foil, for 20 mins before carving.