- 200g cavolo nero
- 2 long slices of light sourdough rye bread
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Fill a large pan with water. Add a large pinch of salt, cover, then pop the pan on a high heat and bring to the boil. Trim the dry ends from the cavolo nero. When the water is boiling, add the cavolo nero and simmer, without a lid on the pan, for 8-10 mins till the cavolo nero is very tender. Drain, then tip the cavolo nero into a bowl and cover with cold water. Add a few ice cubes. This stops it cooking and keeps it green. Set aside to cool for a few mins.
2. Cut 2 long slices off the rye bread. Toast on a hot griddle pan or under the grill till lightly browned on both sides. Cut the rye toasts in half.
3. Peel and finely slice the garlic. Finely grate the zest from the lemon. Drain the cavolo nero and squeeze out any remaining water. Roughly chop the cavolo nero.
4. Pour 2 tbsp olive oil into a large frying pan and set on a medium-low heat. Add the garlic and gently fry for 30 secs-1 min stirring, till lightly browned.
5. Add the cavolo nero to the frying pan with a pinch of salt and stir to mix. Warm through for a 2-3 mins, stirring. Juice in half the lemon, taste and add more salt or lemon juice if you think it needs it.
6. Heap the garlicky cavolo nero on the rye bread toast, top with a few pinches of lemon zest and serve.