- 2 onions
- 1 carrot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 celery stick
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 200ml boiling water
- 200g soya mince
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 1 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 100g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml full cream milk
- 75g vegetarian Italian hard cheese
- 2 x 250g fresh egg lasagne sheets
Prep: 40 mins | Cook 1 hr 20 mins
1. Peel and finely chop the onions. Peel and finely chop the carrot. Peel and crush or finely chop the garlic. Trim the ends off the celery stick and finely chop it. Pour 2 tbsp olive oil into a large pan and warm it on a medium heat. Add the onions, carrot, garlic and celery with 1 tsp oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, till softened. Meanwhile, fill and boil your kettle.
2. When the veg have softened, tip in the tins of chopped tomatoes. Pour in 200ml boiling water and add 200g soya mince. Stir in 1 tbsp each white miso paste and sundried tomato paste. Bring the pan to a boil, then turn the heat down low and simmer for 30 mins.
3. Meanwhile, heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Melt 100g butter in a separate pan on a medium heat. When the butter has melted, add 50g plain flour and stir to fully incorporate. Still stirring frequently, very slowly pour in 500ml milk, till you have a smooth sauce. Let the mixture come to a gentle simmer. Grate in most of the Italian hard cheese and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir till the cheese has melted and the sauce is thick.
4. Spread a small amount of the white sauce over the base of a large rectangular casserole or baking dish. Arrange a layer of pasta sheets on top of the sauce, then spoon over about a quarter of the tomatoey mince. Top with more white sauce, lasagne sheets and another layer of mince, repeating till you’ve used up all the white sauce, pasta and mince. Drain the mozzarella tear it into small pieces. Scatter the mozzarella over the top of the lasagne, and grate over the remaining hard cheese. Season with a little more salt and pepper. Slide the lasagne into the oven and bake for 45 mins, till the top is golden brown bubbling at the sides.
5. Let the lasagne cool a little before dishing up. Keep your plate fresh with a crunchy green salad, or serve with your favourite cooked seasonal veg.