- 2 stale slices of bread
- 1 lemon
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- A splash of olive oil
- A nugget of butter
- A bag of spinach or chard, washed
- Ground nutmeg
- ½ pot of crème fraîche
- A large handful of grated parmesan
1. Blitz or grate the stale bread till you have a batch of breadcrumbs. Season with a good grating of fresh lemon zest, sea salt and pepper. Sizzle in a splash of olive oil till golden and crisp. Set aside.
2. For the spinach, melt the butter in a large pan. Add the spinach little by little, adding more as it wilts down. Season well. Once wilted, pop into a colander. Gently press out any excess liquid. Pop back in the pan. Squeeze over a bit of lemon juice. Dust with a good pinch of ground nutmeg. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
3. Swirl through a good handful of parmesan and crème fraîche. Warm through for a second. Scatter breadcrumbs over the top. Tuck in. Delicious with pan-fried plaice and a generous pour of chilled white wine.