- Dumpling Wrappers:
- 250g plain white flour, plus more for dusting
- Spiced Cranberry Dip:
- 4 tbsp cranberry sauce
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp tamari
- ½ red chilli, chopped
- 1 star anise
- Christmas Leftover Fillings:
- Shredded sprouts fried in coconut oil with chilli flakes
- Chopped cold turkey & shredded red cabbage mixed with a splash tamari and a pinch ground star anise
- Diced roasted root veg tossed with freshly grated ginger & thinly sliced chestnuts
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. To make the dumpling dough, whisk ¼ tsp sea salt with 125ml lukewarm water and ½ tsp neutral oil, such as sunflower or rapeseed. Stir in the flour. Knead till it becomes a dough. Cover and set aside to rest for 15 mins.
2. While the dough rests, make the cranberry dip. Pop all the ingredients into a pan with 1 tbsp water. Whisk together and simmer for 5 mins. Leave chunky or strain for a smoother dip. Set aside (it’s good warm or cold).
3. Knead the rested dough on a floured surface till elastic and shiny. Add more flour or water, if needed.
4. Dust a board with flour. Pinch a small ball of dough, and roll thinly as you can. Use a large round cutter (about 8cm in diameter) to make a circular wrapper.
5. Decide what you want to fill your dumplings with, making sure it's all finely chopped or shredded.
6. Place a rounded tsp of filling in the centre of each wrapper. Moisten the edges with water. Fold in half and press to seal. Repeat with the other wrappers.
7. Set a frying pan over high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil. Lay the dumplings in the pan with a little space between each (you can do this in batches). Cook till crisp and brown on each side, then pour in 2-3 tbsp water. Cover the pan and let the dumplings steam for 5 mins till the water evaporates. Transfer the dumplings to a plate. Serve warm with the spiced cranberry dipping sauce.
8. Get Ahead
You can make the dumpling dough in advance and freeze or chill it for up to 2 days.