- A thumb of turmeric
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 star anise
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 bundles brown rice noodles
- 200g Tenderstem® broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 250g chicken breast mini fillets
- 1 lime
- 750ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 17 mins
1. Fill and boil your kettle. Peel and finely grate the turmeric into a medium pan (see our tip). Peel and thinly slice the onion and garlic and add them to the pan. Crumble in the stock cube and drop in the star anise. Pour in 750ml hot water from the kettle. Place the pan on a medium heat, cover and simmer with the lid on for 10 mins.
2. While the turmeric stock is simmering, place the noodles in large shallow dish. Pour over enough hot water from the kettle to cover the noodles. Leave them to soak for 5-8 mins till tender. Bite into a noodle after 5 mins and if it's still a little chalky in the middle, soak for a few more mins.
3. Meanwhile, trim the dry ends from the broccoli. Cut any really thick stems in half. Trim and peel the carrots, then thinly slice them.
4. When the stock has cooked for 10 mins, add the chicken breast mini fillets, broccoli and carrots to the pan. The stock should just about cover the chicken and veg. Add a little more hot water if you need to. Bring the pan up to a bubble then cook on a medium high heat for 7 mins, without the lid, stirring every now and then.
5. Finely grate the zest from the lime then cut it into wedges. Drain and rinse the noodles if you haven't yet. Divide them between a couple of warm bowls.
6. After 7 mins, remove one of the large pieces of chicken from the pan. Cut it in half. It should be cooked through with no pink remaining. Cook for a little longer if you need to. Taste the stock and add salt or pepper if you think it needs it.
7. Spoon the chicken, veg and stock over the noodles. Sprinkle over the lime zest and serve with wedges of lime to squeeze over.