- 6 large eggs whites
- 375g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 500g cherries
- 2 tbsp amaretto
- 400ml double cream
- A handful of mint, leaves only
Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 1hr 5 mins
1. Heat your oven to 160°C/Fan 140°C/Gas 3. Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Crack the egg whites into a large, clean bowl (save the yolks to make custard another day). Use an electric whisk or a freestanding mixer to whip the whites at a medium speed till you can form fluffy peaks when the whisk is lifted up.
3. With the whisk still going, slowly pour in 300g of the sugar and mix till fully incorporated. Spoon in the lemon juice. Increase the whisk speed to high and continue for a further 5 mins till the meringue is glossy and forms stiff peaks.
4. Spoon the meringue onto the baking tray and gently swirl with a spoon into an even layer.
5. Slide into the oven for 1 hr, then switch off and allow to cool completely before opening the door.
6. Halve and stone most of the cherries (keep a couple back for garnishing) and tip them into a pan. Add 50g sugar, the amaretto and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, then set aside to cool.
7. Beat the cream with the remaining 25g sugar till thick. Slide the pavlova onto a serving plate with a large spatula. Pile the cream onto the pavlova and top with the cherry and amaretto compote, the fresh cherries and torn mint leaves. Serve in slices.