- 200g carrots
- 200g raw cane sugar
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicaronate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon, plus extra to sprinkle
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 150g butter, softened
- 300g icing sugar
Prep: 25 mins + cooling | Cook: 25 mins
1. Warm your oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cases. Peel and grate the carrots then slide them into a bowl. Pop them aside for later.
2. Pour 200g sugar and 200ml sunflower oil into a large mixing bowl. Crack in 2 eggs. Grate in the lemon zest and sprinkle in a pinch of salt. Use a whisk to beat everything together till well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, combine 200g plain flour with 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda, 1 tsp cinnamon and ½ tsp ground ginger.
4. Tip the contents of the flour bowl into the wet ingredients. Stir until combined into a thick batter. Fold through the grated carrots till evenly mixed. Scoop the mixture into the muffin cases (this mix will make 8-10 cupcakes), filling each nearly to the top. Slide the muffin tin into the oven and bake for 25 mins, till golden and risen. To check if they are cooked through, slide a metal skewer into one of the muffins. If the skewer comes out dry, then they are done. Pop the muffins to one side and allow to cool.
5. Meanwhile, scoop the softened butter into a large bowl and sift in 300g icing sugar. Beat the sugar and butter together well, until a smooth and light frosting is formed. When the cakes are completely cool, spoon the frosting on top and smooth with a spoon. Serve the cupcakes with a sprinkle of extra cinnamon on top.