- 1kg av. rolled lamb shoulder
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 3 hrs 25 mins
1. Get started:
Preheat your oven to 160C / Fan 140C / Gas 3. Take your lamb out of the fridge 30 mins before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature.
2. Peel and grate the garlic cloves into a small bowl. Grate in the lemon zest. Stir in the cumin, caraway seeds, a good pinch of salt and pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil. Rub the marinade all over the lamb.
3. Cooking indoors:
Roast the lamb in the oven for 3 hrs 25 mins, basting occasionally, till caramelised on the outside and the flesh starts to pull away easily.
4. Transfer the lamb to a plate, cover with foil and rest for 30 mins. Use forks to pull the soft lamb meat into pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve with wedges of the zested lemon.
5. Cooking outdoors:
Slide the lamb into the oven and roast for 3 hrs, basting occasionally, till it’s dark and caramelised on the outside.
6. While the lamb is roasting, light the coals on your barbecue and allow them to cool to a medium temperature. When the lamb has roasted for 3 hrs in the oven, transfer out of the roasting tin and onto the coolest part of the grill. Put the lid on the barbecue and cook for 20-30 mins, turning occasionally and basting with the roasting juices from the tin.
7. Transfer the lamb to a plate, cover with foil and rest for 30 mins. Use forks to pull the soft lamb meat into pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve with wedges of the zested lemon.