- 200ml whole mylk
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 400g tin of jackfruit
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 ltr sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp egg-free mayo
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 10 mins
1. Pour 200ml whole mylk into a shallow dish and stir in 2 tbsp ground flax seeds till combined. Set the mixture to one side for 10 mins. Drain the jackfruit and add the pieces to the mylk mixture, turning them to coat.
2. Tip 100g self-raising flour into a second shallow dish. Sprinkle over 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Half-fill a heavy pan with sunflower oil (1-1.5ltrs should be plenty), and warm the oil till it reaches 180C. While the oil is heating up, lift the jackfruit pieces out of the mylk mixture and dip them in the seasoned flour to coat them well. Lift out of the flour and dip back in the mylk mixture, then give them a final coating of seasoned flour.
4. When the oil is hot, carefully drop the jackfruit pieces into the pan (if you're using a smaller pan, cook the jackfruit in a couple of batches). Fry the jackfruit for 4-5 mins, turning occasionally with a metal spoon, till deep brown. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to lift the jackfruit onto a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain.
5. Serve the crispy fried jackfruit with a big dollop of egg-free mayo for dipping. Add spiced potato wedges and a fresh salad to make it a meal.