- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 citron beldi lemons
- A pinch of saffron
- 150g brown basmati rice
- 1 red onion
- 2 carrots
- 250g diced chicken leg
- 35g flaked almonds
- 100g cavolo nero
- Sea salt
- 250ml + 300ml boiling water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Crumble the stock cube into a jug. Pour in 250ml boiling water. Add 2 tbsp honey. Finely grate in the bergamot lemon zest and squeeze in their juice. Add a pinch of saffron powder. Swirl to mix, then leave to infuse.
2. Tip the rice into a bowl and cover with cold water. Whisk with a fork for 1-2 mins till the water goes cloudy. Drain and tip into a medium pan. Pour in 300ml boiling water and add a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to the boil, then turn the heat right down and gently cook for 25 mins. Once the water has been absorbed, take off the heat and leave to steam in the pan with the lid on for 5 mins.
3. While the rice simmers, peel and thickly slice the onion. Trim and slice the carrots into 2cmthick diagonal slices.
4. Heat a pan for a couple of mins. When warm, drizzle in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the diced chicken, carrots and the onion. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry for 5-6 mins till the chicken is browned and the
veg have softened.
5. Pour in the saffron and bergamot infused stock. Stir and clamp on a lid. Simmer on a low heat for 20 mins.
6. While the rice and chicken are cooking, toast the almonds in a small, dry frying pan for 2-3 mins till golden. Tip in to a bowl and set aside.
7. Finely shred the cavolo nero, discarding any thick, dry stems. Add the cavolo nero to the chicken. Stir, pop the lid back on and cook for 3-4 mins till softened. Taste and add a pinch of salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
8. Divide the rice between a couple of plates. Spoon over the chicken and veg with plenty of the fragrant sauce. Scatter over the toasted almonds and serve.
9. Divide the rice between a couple of plates. Spoon over the chicken and veg with plenty of the fragrant sauce. Scatter over the toasted almonds and serve.