- 1kg floury potatoes
- Sea salt
- ½ mug of beef dripping or olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3-4 rosemary sprigs, leaves chopped
- 1 lemon, zest only
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 45 mins + chilling
1. Peel the potatoes and halve or quarter them. Simmer in a pan of salted boiling water for 10-15 mins till soft but not falling apart.
2. Drain the potatoes and give them a good shake in the colander to rough up the edges. Leave to cool, then refrigerate uncovered for1 hr (or overnight) to dry them out a bit.
3. Heat your oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7. Add the fat or oil to a roasting tin and pop it in the oven to warm up till smoking hot.
4. Spoon the cold spuds through the hot fat to coat them. Season well.
5. Roast for 45 mins-1 hr till golden. Check them often and turn if needed. Scatter over some fresh rosemary and grated lemon zest toward the end.
6. Season well with salt then serve.
7. Tater Talk
To get your roasties looking this good you need the right kind of potato – a floury one. The best in the whole entire world is Arran Victory, it wins every taste test. Arrans are usually only available around Christmas, though. So the next best are, Maris Piper, Desiree and King Edwards.