- 4-5 beetroot, peeled
- 4tbsp olive oil, plus a little for cooking the beetroot
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4-5 oranges
- 2 tbsp honey or agave
- A pinch of mixed spice or ground cinnamon
- A pinch of chilli powder
- A large handful of walnut halves, roughly chopped
- A handful of mint leaves
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Cut the beetroot into wedges about the size of orange segments. Heat a large lidded pan. Add a gloss of oil, just enough to coat the bottom. Spread the beetroot out in the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 15 mins, turning once, till tender.
2. Pour 4 tbsp of olive oil in a jam jar. Add a pinch of salt. Squeeze in 4 tbsp orange juice from one of the oranges, add 1 tsp of the honey and a pinch of each spice. Pop a lid on the jar. Shake till mixed.
3. Top and tail the remaining oranges. Cut the peel off the sides. Slice the flesh into rounds.
4. Toast the walnuts in a frying pan till fragrant. Drizzle in the remaining honey and add a pinch of salt. Mix to coat and take the pan off the heat. Tip the walnuts onto a cutting board to cool.
5. Arrange the beetroot and orange slices in a bowl or on a plate. Drizzle over the dressing, top with the walnuts and mint leaves and serve straight away.