- 1 aubergine
- 1-2 mug of milk or cool water
- 1-2 mug of plain white flour or polenta
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Any other spice you wish to add - chilli powder and cinnamon are nice
- Olive oil
1. Cut aubergine into 1cm slices. Quarter each slice. Place milk or water in a shallow dish. Dampen the aubergine slices. Mix flour or polenta with salt, pepper and any additional spices you might want to use. Place damp aubergines pieces in the flour, a few at a time, shake them through the flour to coat well.
2. Heat 1cm film of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add aubergine croutons little by little. Cook until golden on each side. Drain in a colander or on a slice of bread - my granny always uses the eal end for such occasions. Sprinkle over pasta, soup, salad or pack into houmous-filled pita bread. Delicious.