- 4 x 4cm-thick slices white bread
- Knob of butter
- 300g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 150ml cider
- 1 tbsp cream
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 large apple (or 2 small apples)
1. Heat your oven to 160°C/Fan 140°C/Gas 3.
2. Remove the crusts from the bread. Cut a square out of the centre of each slice, without going through the base, leaving a 1.5-2cm border around the edge, in effect creating a bread case. Roughly crumble the cut-out pieces with your fingers and set aside. Dot the hollowed-out bread cases with little bits of butter, place on a baking tray and bake for about 10 mins till toasty.
3. Meanwhile, melt the cheese, cider, cream and mustard in a pan over a gentle heat. Stir until smooth then beat in the reserved breadcrumbs.
4. Preheat the grill to high. Peel and core your apple and cut into thin, ½-1cm thick slices. Place in the centre of each bread case. Pour the cheese mixture over the apple and place under the hot grill until they are golden and bubbling. You will need to serve them straight away before the bread softens.