- 150g white basmati rice
- 190g marinated tofu
- 1 red onion
- A head of broccoli
- 1 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 lime
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 1½ tbsp olive, sunflower or coconut oil
1. Fill and boil your kettle. Rinse the rice under cold water and tip it into a small pan. Add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to the boil then turn the heat right down. Gently cook for 6-8 mins till all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Take the pan off the heat and let it sit, lid on, for 5 mins to finish cooking the rice. Leave the lid on the pan to keep the rice warm.
2. While the rice cooks, chop the marinated tofu into bite-sized chunks. Warm a deep frying pan or wok on a medium-high heat for 2 mins, then pour in 1 tbsp oil. Add the tofu and fry for 5 mins, stirring regularly, till crisp and golden on most sides.
3. While the tofu fries, peel and thinly slice the red onion. Chop the broccoli into small florets and slice the stalk into thin matchsticks.
4. Lift the tofu out of the pan into a bowl. Add ½ tbsp oil to the pan and add the red onion. Stir fry for 2 mins. Squeeze in 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste and stir fry for 1 min. Pour in the coconut milk and bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to a gentle bubble.
5. Add the broccoli to the pan along with the tofu and a good pinch of salt. Simmer for 4-5 mins till the broccoli is just tender.
6. Taste the curry and add some salt if you think it needs it. Fluff the rice and divide it between a couple of warm plates or bowls. Spoon over the curry and serve with lime wedges on the side for squeezing.