- 4 apples
- 4 wooden skewers
- 225g demerara sugar
- 2cm-thick slice of peeled ginger root (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 3 cloves (optional)
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 25g butter or sunflower spread
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Remove the stems from the apples then skewer them on long, wooden skewers.
2. Place a pan over high heat. Add the sugar, 110ml water and the spices, if you're using them. Simmer till sugar has fully dissolved.
3. Add the vinegar and butter and cook for 7-10 mins, till the toffee bubbles up, thickens and darkens a bit. Stir constantly and adjust the heat as needed – lower if it bubbles too much, crank it up if it simmers too slowly.
4. Check the toffee is ready by adding a trickle to cold water. If it firms up immediately, it’s ready.
5. Coat apples generously, swirling them through the mix. Place on a tray to cool and thoroughly set.
6. If you want to store them, wrap loosely in lightly oiled greaseproof paper and tie it up with some box string. Eat within 2-3 days.