- 500g spare ribs
- 3 tbsp Demerara or brown sugar
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- A pinch of chilli powder
- A pinch of ground cloves (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
2. Rinse your ribs. Lay on a piece of foil large enough to wrap around the ribs fully once or twice.
3. Mix all the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Warm them up and stir often to blend the flavours.
4. Completely cover your ribs in the sauce.
5. Wrap them up in the foil, tightly securing the parcel. Pop on a baking tray.
6. Bake for 1 ½ hours. This should help render down (render means melt down) the fat and make them so tender the meat falls off the bones.
7. Unwrap the parcel. Bake for a further 5-10 mins on each side, to thicken the sauce and add a little more colour.