- 500g golden beetroot
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 325g jar of haricot beans
- 80g Kalamata olives
- A handful of watercress
- 50g Parmesan cheese
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 45 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the golden beetroot and slice them into bite-sized wedges (no need to peel unless you want to). Scatter the beetroot into a large roasting tin and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour over half a mug of cold water, then cover the tin with a sheet of foil or a lid. Slide the beetroot into the oven and roast for 40-45 mins, turning halfway, till tender.
2. Meanwhile, peel and grate the garlic into a bowl. Grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice. Squeeze in the juice from half an orange. Pour in 1 tbsp olive oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Roughly chop the mint leaves and add to the bowl. Whisk everything together to make a dressing and set to one side.
3. Tip the haricot beans into a sieve to drain them, then rinse under a cold tap. Drain well, then transfer to a salad bowl. Roughly chop the olives (removing any stones) and add to the beans. Set aside while you wait for the beetroot to cook.
4. When the beetroot is cooked, let it cool in the tin for 5-10 mins. Spoon 2 tbsp of the cooking liquid into the citrus dressing and stir well.
5. Add the beetroot to the salad bowl. Pour the dressing into the salad bowl and toss tolightly coat. Fold through the watercress leaves. Divide the salad between plates and use a peeler to top with thin shards of Parmesan cheese. Serve straight away as a starter or main course, or as a hearty side dish.