- 220g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 200g raw cane sugar
- 3 eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 100g pitted prunes
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 50 mins - 1hr
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Grease a 450g loaf tin with a little butter, and line the bottom and sides with greaseproof paper.
2. Beat the softened butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl till smooth, light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each one till incorporated before adding the next.
3. Weigh out the self raising flour and ground almonds and add them to the bowl. Fold the mixture together till the flour is just combined. Add the prunes to the bowl and fold through.
4. Scoop the batter into the loaf tin and slide it into the oven. Bake the cake for 50-60 mins. Check to see if the cake is cooked through by poking a skewer into the middle. If the skewer comes out clean, the cake is cooked. If there is any batter on the skewer, bake for a further 5-10 mins before testing again.
5. Once the cake is cooked, allow it to cool a little in the tin for a few mins, then tip it out of the tin onto a wire rack and cool completely. Serve slices with a cup of tea.
6. Eat Me, Keep Me
The cake will keep well in an airtight tin for 3-4 days.