- 4 tbsp raw cane sugar
- 1 egg, beaten (see our tip if you're vegan)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 8 tbsp pear juice or water
- 400g pears, peeled and coarsely grated
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175g plain white flour
- A large handful of chopped nuts, to sprinkle on top (optional)
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Heat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Lightly oil the cups of a 12-hole muffin tin or line the tin with muffin cases. Set aside.
2. Pour 4 tbsp olive oil into a mixing bowl and add the sugar. Whisk together till light and frothy. Whisk in the egg, vanilla, cinnamon and pear juice or water.
3. Add he grated pear and cocoa powder and fold to mix them in with a large spoon or spatula. Add the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and flour and gently fold them through the wet ingredients till just mixed.
4. Spoon the mix into your prepared muffin tin. Scatter the chopped nuts over the top. Bake for15-20 mins, or till golden on top and cooked through in the centre – a skewer inserted into the middle of a muffin should come out clean.
5. Cool the muffins for a few mins before serving. They will keep well in an airtight tin for up to 2 days, or can be frozen and defrosted overnight.
6. Egg Swap
If you're vegan you can swap the egg for 50ml coconut milk.