- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 chilli
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- A splash of olive oil
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- A 400g tin of whole plum tomatoes
- A 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Finely chop the chilli – flick out the seeds and white bits for a milder flavour. Finely grate the zest from the lemon. Juice it.
2. Warm a splash of olive oil in a pan. Add the garlic and chilli. Stir and cook for 1 min. Add a pinch of chilli, the lemon zest, 1 tbsp Demerara sugar, both tins of tomatoes and the bay leaf. Season.
3. Cover. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down. Simmer for 5-10 mins till the sauce is a little thicker. Stir every so often while the sauce cooks, squishing the tomatoes against the side of the pan.
4. Add a splash of lemon juice. Taste. Add more salt, pepper, chilli powder or lemon juice if you think it needs it. Serve warm with the Roast Stuffed Squashes.