- 300g strong white bread flour
- A pinch of sea salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 150g unsalted butter, fridge cold
- About 8-10 tbsp cold water
Prep: 15 mins + chilling | Cook: nil
1. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder together. Cut the butter into 1-2cm-thick cubes. Bit by bit, add them to the flour. Coat the butter in flour as you add them. Rub the butter into the flour till it’s almost at the breadcrumb-like consistency stage. Leave some lumps of butter less rubbed in.
2. Add enough water to bring it together into a soft, silky (not sticky) dough. Use very cold water so the butter doesn't melt.
3. On a floured surface, pat the dough into a rectangle. Roll out until 1-2cm thick.
4. Fold in the sides like you're folding a letter. Rotate the rectangle 90°. Roll out again. Repeat this five times, ending with a letter-folded piece of dough.
5. Wrap up in a clean tea towel. Refrigerate for 30 mins before rolling out to use, or freeze it for up to a month.
6. Use Your Pastry To Make Sausage Rolls
For our Hello Sausage (and other fillings) Rolls recipe video click here.