- 300g plain white flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- 150g unsalted butter, fridge cold
- About 8-10 tbsp cold water
Easy, peasy, pudding and pie.
1. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder together. Cut the butter into 1-2cm cubes. Bit by bit add them to the flour (power to the pastry people!). Coat the butter in flour as you add them. Rub the butter into the flour till it’s almost at the breadcrumb-like-consistency stage. Leave some lumps of butter less rubbed in. It's all part of the masterflan plan.
2. Add enough water to bring it together into a soft, silky (not sticky) dough. Use very cold water so the butter doesn't melt.
3. On a floured surface, pat the dough into a rectangle. Roll until 1-2cm thick.
4. Fold in the sides like you're folding a letter. Rotate the rectangle 90°. Roll out again. Repeat this five times, ending with a letter-folded piece of dough.
5. Wrap up in a clean tea towel. Refrigerate for 30 mins before rolling out or freeze it for up to a month. Try it out in our sausage roll recipe.