- 250g white fish, such as cod, hake, pollock and coley
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 500ml boiling water
- 2 thumbs of turmeric, thinly sliced
- 5 thin slices of fresh ginger
- 3 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 star anise
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
1. Rinse the fish and set aside.
2. Crumble the stock cube into a deep frying pan or wok and stir in 500ml boiling water to dissolve the stock cube. Warm the stock with the turmeric, ginger, cardamom, star anise and black pepper. Simmer fo 10 mins.
3. Strain the stock through a sieve into a jug or bowl, discarding the spices. Pour the stock back into the pan. Add the coconut oil and lower the fish into the pan.
4. Simmer 10 mins or till the fish is cooked through – the fish will flake easily when it’s done. Test by gently inserting the tip of a knife in the fattest part of the fish.
5. Serve the fish on a bed of rice or noodles with seasonal greens and a ladle of the broth.