- 100g walnut halves
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 200g demerara sugar
- 200g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 medium egg
- 1-2 tbsp milk (optional)
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 55-65 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Set a large frying pan on a medium heat and tip in the walnuts. Toast for 3-4 mins, shaking the pan, till the walnuts have darkened a little and smell nutty. Tip them out onto a chopping board and let them cool for a few mins, then crumble the walnuts into small pieces and set aside.
2. Tip the instant coffee, sugar, flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the crumbled walnuts and a small pinch of salt, then stir together to mix well.
3. Crack the egg into a separate bowl and beat well, then add to the mixing bowl and stir together with a fork to make a soft dough. If it's a bit dry, add 1-2 tbsp milk to help bring the dough together.
4. Turn the dough out of the bowl onto your work surface and shape it into a sausage shape, around 25cm x 10cm. Transfer to the baking tray, then slide into the oven and bake for 40-45 mins till golden brown.
5. Take the baked dough out of the oven and cool for a few mins. Transfer to a chopping board. Use a serrated bread knife to slice it into individual biscotti, around 2½cm thick.
6. Pop them back on the baking tray and bake for another 10-15 mins till dry and firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, then store in an airtight tin. Serve with coffee, milk or pudding wine for dunking. The biscotti will keep in an airtight tin for several weeks.