- For the cookie dough:
- 250g dark chocolate
- 40g butter
- 2 eggs
- 150g sugar
- 1 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, toasted
- Zest of 1 orange
- For the tahini buttercream filling:
- 50g butter
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp tahini
- 100g cream cheese
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 8 mins
Makes 12-15 sandwiches or 24-30 individual biscuits
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. To make the cookie dough, melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water – take care not to let the bowl touch the water.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large mixing bowl till pale and thick.
4. Sift in the cocoa powder and pour in the melted chocolate and butter. Add the fennel seeds and orange zest. CRack in a little black pepper. Fold together with a flexible spatula till just combined.
5. Dollop heaped teaspoonfuls of the mix onto the lined baking tray, leaving space between the cookies as they will spread slightly during cooking. Slide into the oven and bake for 8 mins. Leave to cool completely.
6. To make the tahini buttercream, beat together the butter, honey and tahini. When smooth, beat in the cream cheese.
7. Place a small spoonful of filling on the base of half the cooled biscuits. Place another biscuit on top and gently sandwich together.
8. Eat straight away or pop in the fridge. The cookie sandwiches will last for 2-3 days in the fridge.