- 2 slices of bread (sourdough or rye work a treat)
- A small knob of butter or olive oil
- 8-10 asparagus spears
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 duck eggs
- 2-4 tbsp crème fraîche, natural yogurt or cream
- 2-4 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
Eat straight from the dish (but mind your fingers don’t get burned) or scoop out onto a plate(s).
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C\Gas 6.
2. Butter your bread, or gloss with a little oil, on both sides. Nestle it snugly in a baking dish.
3. Lightly toast in the oven till just golden on top. Arrange your asparagus on top. If using purple sprouting broccoli, trim off any woody stalks and/or halve any thick stems lenthwise. Add some salt and pepper. Roast it for a couple of mins, till it colours a bit.
4. Dollop a little crème fraîche/yogurt/cream over the asparagus and toast. Crack your eggs, evenly spaced, on top. Dollop a little more creamy stuff on top. Scatter your Parmesan over.
5. Bake till the eggs are set to your liking and the cream and cheese are a little bubbly and golden.