- 1 kg brisket
- 1 garlic bulb
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 orange
- A large pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lime
- 500-700ml boiling water
- Honey or sugar (optional)
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 3hrs 50 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200C/Fan 190C/Gas 7. Unwrap your beef brisket and pat it dry. Place it in a roasting dish. Allow it to come to room temperature.
2. Peel all the garlic cloves.Thinly slice two cloves and set the rest aside. Make small cuts in the beef and push in the garlic slices and some cumin seeds.
3. Zest and juice the orange. Whisk the orange zest and juice with the cayenne pepper and smoked paprika. Rub this all over the brisket with plenty of seasoning.
4. Pour in 500-750ml boiling water in to the dish. It should come halfway up the brisket. Drop in the bay leaves and whole garlic cloves. Place a lid on the dish or cover with foil. Slide into the oven and cook for 20 mins. Turn the oven down to 160C/150C fan/ Gas x. Cook for a further 3hrs 30 mins
5. After the brisket has cooked for a total of 3 hrs 50 mins, remove the lid or foil. Lift the brisket out of the cooking liquid. Pluck out the bay leaves. The garlic cloves should be soft. Crush them with the back of a fork.
6. Taste and season the spicy, fruity, garlicky sauce. Add a little honey or sugar to sweeten if necessary. Serve slices or shreds of the brisket with the sauce spooned over and wedges of lime to squeeze.